District and School Safety
The safety and security of our students is of the utmost importance. LHUSD is focused on preventing dangerous situations
for our students, as well as responding, should a dangerous situation occur. We regularly meet with our local police and
fire department to review our safety plans and practices. The goal is to ensure that recent research and data, including how
to respond, support the policies we currently employ to keep our students, staff, and schools safe.
As part of the process of updating the district’s safety plan, a new safety protocol called ALICE is being implemented in the implausible event of a dangerous intruder. This training teaches staff and students to respond immediately in the event of a crisis, rather than rely on centralized instructions/communication.
During drills and practices conducted throughout this school year, our administration and teachers will be introducing the ALICE principles and strategies to students while also being cognizant of what is developmentally appropriate.
The letters in ALICE stand for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter and Evacuate:
● Alert – Inform people of the threat, giving as much information as possible.
● Lockdown – Students and staff can choose to lockdown and barricade the room that they are in if they determine that it is not safe to evacuate.
● Inform – Pass on as much information as possible to others and to First Responders, including calling 911.
● Counter – An effort of last resort, if a dangerous intruder is able to get into the space they are in, individuals can counter with distraction or other tactics. Staff are being trained to use every effort to stop the intruder, instead of relying on the traditional lockdown and hide response.
● Evacuate – If it is safe to do so, all are encouraged to evacuate the building, and remove themselves from the threat.
Our goal is to ensure that, in the event of a physical threat or dangerous intruder incident, students and teachers are prepared to respond based on the information they have available at that moment.